Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ahoy, Mateys! Sneak peeks of DUST OF 100 DOGS begin to arrive!



Although A.S. King's debut novel, THE DUST OF 100 DOGS, won't be released until February, it's already enjoying some fab pre-pub buzz (that's industry talk for "it's getting a nice amount of attention that one hopes will translate into interest in the book upon its release").

First, it got some great endorsements from a cadre of amazingYA authors: Lisa McMann, Heather Brewer, Lauren Baratz-Logsted, and Carrie Jones.

Then there was the shout out from Alison Morris on her PW blog, Shelf Talker, where she admired the cover (which was then admired by others).

Now, the inimitable Leila over at Bookshelves of Doom has chimed in with her thoughts. To quote Leila: "The Dust of 100 Dogs is entertaining, multi-layered, smart and definitely gripping...."

But my favorite part of Leila's review is where she questions whether or not this is YA. Anyone who pays attention to industry trades or even articles in the New York Times knows that this can be a dicey topic. Where does the Y in YA begin and end? The good news is that EVERYONE has an opinion on the matter, which leads to some great chatter on the matter. (My opinion? I adhere to Flux's credo--YA is a point of view, not a reading level.)

Again, to quote Leila: "The subject matter doesn't pertain to my YA or not YA question -- there's no topic here that I haven't found in other YA books -- it's the tone and the perspective(s). Then again, the genre is constantly evolving and expanding. Maybe in the future the line between YA and adult will get more and more blurred. I'd like that. "

I'd like that too.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Ahh and what better way to welcome Amy's book into the world? I'm ecstatic about the buzz it's been receiving and even though I have yet to read the book, I think all the attention she's been receiving is well-deserved.

Amy's a rock star. *infomercial voice* And her spawn'll soon be at a store near you ... !

~if you would call a book a spawn...

A.S. King said...

"'Then again, the genre is constantly evolving and expanding. Maybe in the future the line between YA and adult will get more and more blurred. I'd like that.' I'd like that too."

Me too.
And I can't see why not. Older teens have already seen and heard the worst of what humanity has to offer on prime time TV, right?

Okay. I won't start. :)