Friday, June 8, 2007

Books (and a mini contest)!

Holy cow, June is full of new Flux books and I haven't made any sort of fuss. I plead BEA and throw myself at your collective mercies.

Anyway, Terie Garrison's SpringFire is on the shelves and on the Web, and with it, fantasy readers will come one step closer to the completion of her four-book DragonSpawn cycle. I've read all four books, and I think this one is my favorite (mmm . . . scarification . . . fun stuff). Harry Potter fans will find Terie's books a more than adequate hors d'oeuvres to July's deathly main course

And speaking of sequels, Simone Elkeles' How to Ruin My Teenage Life joins its predecessor in stores this month. Yes, Avi figures prominently.

Finally, Brian Yansky's tremendous second YA, Wonders of the World is out. Brian's novel is a truly unique piece. He's one of those authors with a voice that I'd recognize instantly. A free Flux book to the first person to identify the fairy tale/folk tale source material for Yansky's villain. Put it in the comments with some way for me to get back to you.

UPDATE: Just to be clear, you'll have to read at least the first, say, fifty pages of Wonders of the World, but if you do, you can, like I did, figure it out with some quick Googling and a rudimentary (very rudimentary) knowledge of the operas of Bartok. Or being a fan of Neil Gaiman might help too, I'm told. And yes, anyone named Brian is disqualified.

UPDATE II: We have winners! Thanks all!

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

Well I have no idea how I am supposed to figure that out. I have looked at the few reviews there are (can't get the Kirkus review) and looked on amazon and the author's blog. No galley for me :-(

Varian Johnson said...

Being that I have Brian's phone number and know where he lives, I guess it would be against the rules for me to call him up for the answer.

Brian Farrey said...

Just so I'm clear... I'm disqualified, right?

heidi said...

Congrats on all the new books coming out. Sorry, can't give a great answer to the fairy question. The only fairy I know is Tinker Bell and my guess is that answer is ten kinds of WRONG.

heidi said...

So random fairy guessing is out?

=)

Lindsey said...

Okay, I guess it clears it up. Here's the problem though. Isn't the book not published yet? How am I supposed to read 50 pages of a nonexistent book. And I guess I thought the "free book" was going to be the book in question. LOL, librarian confusion.

HilLesha O'Nan said...

Bluebeard by Charles Perrault?

Brian Farrey said...

"rudimentary knowledge of the operas of Bartok"?!

What color is the sky in your world?

Lindsey said...

Well I thought it might be bluebeard, but that seemed a little too easy since the character's name is bluebeard.