Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Sherman Alexie and YA

Sherman Alexie belongs to the illustrious list of famous living authors I really ought to have read (he fits in neatly next to Martin Amis on this theoretical bookshelf of mine), and for a while I've been thinking maybe I'll read his Indian Killer. Or maybe I'll grab his latest novel, Flight, which he talked about last night in an interview on Minnesota Public Radio--especially now that I know he has a YA coming out soon-ish.

The interview is generally interesting--I imagine especially so for fans--but for the YA crowd he does say some fairly provacative things about our favorite genre.

3 comments:

Brian Mandabach said...

Read The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. No question. Short stories that are all of a piece. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Brian.
You need to start there or with the poems.
You have to read his poems, Andrew.
You have to promise me.
Promise?

Didn't we just talk about Sherman? He's at BEA Friday. YAY!!!!!

Brian Farrey said...

I'm glad I sent you my recommendation via e-mail and didn't post it here. I seem to be in the minority.